Monday, September 21, 2009

Brown rice chips at Costco

Costco fascinates me, not so much because of its warehouse setting and outsized-everything for sale, but more because of the unlikely things I find there. My most recent Costco gleaning is Brown Rice Chips with Black Sesame and Sea Salt. They're from Ming Tsai over at Blue Ginger in Massachusetts. You might remember him from his show, East Meets West with Ming Tsai, which ran way back during the Food Network's infancy. Now he hosts a PBS series, Simply Ming. He is also a national spokesperson for The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network.

So let me tell you about these chips: They're light as a feather! And it really is impossible to eat just one of them. This turns out to be OK because a serving (a whopping 33 chips) has only 110 calories. And if that weren't enough, each serving packs 3 grams of fiber and a mere 3 grams of fat.

My local Costco was selling the chips at $5.49 for a 14-oz. bag. Truthfully, I don't know how this compares to the prices of corn chips or potato chips, because I buy them so infrequently. To me, they felt like a little bit of a splurge but not outrageously so.

For more information, visit Kellogg's or Tsai's web site.

12 comments:

  1. the sound yummy must get some on my next trip to Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These chips are without equal. Worth the price. I bought them every week for the past 6 months or so. Then, just today, the single Costco in our city had none, and seemed not to have any available shelf space for them. Oh no. I hate when this happens. That's the gripe I have with Costco: They seem to "go through" their stock, then replace items which have become favorites with something new. This can lead to wonderful discoveries, but as often, it's pulling the rug out from under customers who have become hardcore fans of particular foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same problem at my local Costco. In fact we have several Costco's and none of them in my city carry them at all anymore. I contacted Kellog and they couldn't find a retailer for me. I guess now I'm going to have to move on from the Blue Ginger Brown Rice Chips...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing with me! I had been buying 2 bags of chips on every trip to Costco as they are a family favorite! Then all of a sudden they no longer carry them. I called all the other Costco's in our area and was told the same thing. What a bummer because I love those chips@

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to find these!!!! I loved them but alas I could not find them when I went back to Costco to buy more. Please post info if anyone has had any luck finding where we can purchase more.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here, we love them, can't find them... Even was willing to purchase them online because they are so yummy. Beginning to wonder if they were just a figment of my imagination?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We in the Chicago area are looking for them too!! We LOVED them! Costco - bring them back (please)!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found it in Grocery Outlet in Oakland, 2900 BROADWAY OAKLAND, CA 94611. The price is $1.49 for the 14 oz bag. They have stores over six western states. Good Luck!
    http://www.groceryoutlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. B J wholesale has them....a Dream Chip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam's Club is where I got mine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We tried them and loved them. Went back to Costco in Middle River, MD for more and they were out of them. Hope they get them back. They were the best chip I've ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ditto! I went tonight to get more and they are gone from the shelves. I am in a panic to find them.

    ReplyDelete